Product Application Engineer- Diesel (Auburn Hills)
United States, Auburn Hills_ USA
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. Supported by the global megatrends of resource scarcity, vehicle electrification and the need for cleaner air quality, our activities primarily focus on three areas: recycling, electrification and clean air. In doing so, we put our teams at the cutting edge of materials science, chemistry and metallurgy. Our pioneering approach to sustainability has got us to where we are today, but we know we can’t stand still. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
To add to our valuable team of dedicated employees, Umicore Autocat USA Inc is currently seeking a Product Application Engineer- Diesel in our Automotive Catalysts business unit, located at our Auburn Hills, MI facility.
We all have the right to breathe clean air and at Umicore we are a world leader in the production of emission control catalysts. Our technologies enable on-road and non-road applications, as well as power generation and process industry to meet environmental standards around the world. Our products have prevented billions of tonnes of harmful gases and particles being released into the atmosphere. To enable our customers to produce even cleaner engines and further reduce industrial emissions, we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas.
Which is where you come in.
Technical Responsibility (70%):
- Guide the technical discussions with the customers, jointly with the responsible Senior Manager/Manager in Customer Support.
- Manage generic product and system development programs in close cooperation with the Customer Support Team and AC-RT (Research & Technology).
- Effective communication of customer and competitor information and status within AC-PM (Product Management).
- Identify competing technologies to our catalysts and develop counter proposals together with the relevant functions.
- Provide technical support for a) component and system modeling b) sample recommendations (technology and sizing) and c) presentations.
- Balance jointly with Product Development and Customer Service, priorities of experimental projects and adjust as appropriately to meet the needs of various internal and external customer objectives.
- Ensure technical center is MICR compliant; follow Internal Control directives.
- May be assigned other duties as needed, based on facility needs.
Commercial and Strategic Responsibility (30%):
- Based on market requirements and future power train technology developments this position supports the Senior Manager Regional in developing long-term global technology strategy and priorities.
- Provide recommendations for the optimization of the productivity and efficiency of the test programs (budget used vs. potential size of business).
- Customer interface with the technical community to position Umicore and to gain insight into their current and future product and emission system needs and planning. This includes a clear understanding of their development and testing requirements (engine as well as chassis).
Education & Technical Background
- Education- B.S. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Science
- Basic understanding of technical, commercial, operational and financial elements of the automotive catalyst business is required. Experience within Automotive Catalyst preferred.
- Organizational, Prioritization and Project Management Skills are needed.
- 1-2 years minimum experience in research and/or development of catalysts or 2-3 years minimum experience in automotive industry
- Good analytical capabilities; problem solving skills; teamwork; program/project coordination.
- Computer literacy with demonstrated knowledge of Windows; Excel; Word; PowerPoint; and Access.
- Possess demonstrated and proven customer support skills; hands-on experience with development and testing of emission control systems; and/or experience with engine calibration to meet regulated emissions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to develop effective internal and external presentations.
- Self-driven person with demonstrated ability to work well in a team. Must be able to guide selection of technologies and generate ideas, strategies and conclusions to support customers with minimal supervision.
- Keep abreast of new technologies through personal readings; training seminars; and participation in public conferences and meetings
- Regional / global knowledge of automotive industry practices (i.e. tiered supply chain)
- Culturally sensitive
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Umicore is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
Candidates must be able to work in the United States, without requiring company visa/immigration support.
If you need assistance in applying for this position, please contact Marcie Lemieux at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Umicore Human Resources at (248) 292-2248.
We thank all candidates for their applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.